View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaoidh View Post
Further investigation has revealed that the oil leak is from the left hand side of the gear box where there is a metal strip with a brass hinge connected to an electrical cable leading into the cabin.
The leak point is from a metal plug inserted into the side of the box locating the metal strip.the plug is serrated round steel with a flat on it.
Anyone tell me what this is,can I screw it or hammer it in?
Gearbox is a 722.6
I beleive there is no brass part external to this gearbox, The usual point of leak is a round electric connector at the front of the gearbox (this should be located at the right side of the car (drivers side for you).

It is covered by a plate which is screwed through when you install the transmission sump. - Its very easy to replace - buy a new one from Mercedes Benz dealer and replace it, it uses a 7mm hex bolt in its center to install it to the gearbox. To install it slather a lot of ATF to the O rings and it should pop in with some effort (make sure the pins are aligned before applying force) - the bolt is only tightened finger tight at most.

The other bit that leaks on the older 722.6 gearboxes is called the parking lock interlock cable (PLIL cable) - it has an accordion rubber on it and is located at the tail of the gearbox on the left side (passenger for you). You can google PLIL change to see how to change it.

You mention that the gasket felt floppy - its perfectly normal as its quite thick. It also is pretty low torque on the bolts - make sure the spacers are installed with each bolt to ensure the sump does not roll the gasket like it could on the older MB gearboxes.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)