View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulfiqar View Post
I beleive there is no brass part external to this gearbox, The usual point of leak is a round electric connector at the front of the gearbox (this should be located at the right side of the car (drivers side for you).

It is covered by a plate which is screwed through when you install the transmission sump. - Its very easy to replace - buy a new one from Mercedes Benz dealer and replace it, it uses a 7mm hex bolt in its center to install it to the gearbox. To install it slather a lot of ATF to the O rings and it should pop in with some effort (make sure the pins are aligned before applying force) - the bolt is only tightened finger tight at most.

The other bit that leaks on the older 722.6 gearboxes is called the parking lock interlock cable (PLIL cable) - it has an accordion rubber on it and is located at the tail of the gearbox on the left side (passenger for you). You can google PLIL change to see how to change it.

You mention that the gasket felt floppy - its perfectly normal as its quite thick. It also is pretty low torque on the bolts - make sure the spacers are installed with each bolt to ensure the sump does not roll the gasket like it could on the older MB gearboxes.
Thanks for the info mate.
I have renewed the electrical connector and o rings.there is no leak at the front of the trans.
What you are saying about the PLIL is interesting,the metal strip/strap is at 45 deg approx,in a similar position to where you are describing.
The metal strap approx 4 inch long is located on the splined plug which is about 1/2 dia
Looking up along the line of the strap there is what appears to be a brass hinge and the electric cable to the cabin.
I will check that PLIL part.
Thanks Geoff