View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 01:06 PM

Come to archaic South Dakota. The only compensation is that on I-90, there is only one car per quarter mile. However, if it is going slowly, it WILL be in the left lane. It seems to be a regional thing, however. When I see a car from Iowa, I automatically back off an extra few car lengths because there is no predictability.

In LA in the sixties, I'd commute daily on the San Diego Fwy from Inglewood to Canoga Park. At seventy MPH and five-wide, and bumper-to-bumper, it may have seemed like a madhouse but I never saw an accident. I thought everybody was supposed to drive that way. When someone signalled to make a lane change, there was an immediate accomodation made by the vehicle next door and everyone continued smoothly along. Seemed that everyone had their eyes open and were conscious of the whole situation instead of just in front of their own bumper. I can't say the same for much of anywhere since then. CA included nowadays. If you want to change lanes in LA now, be prepared for a drive-by shooting if it involves anyone else being asked to accomodate at all.

Like, Larry B., I'd rather fly. At least those in an airplane have been given a bunch more instruction.

When flying jets in the AF, we were required to be thinking waaaay ahead of the plane. Things happened far before the ability to react unless one was prepared.

Not only do we notice folks not aware of the world around them,,,,
I'm not sure that some are really present in their own vehicle.

I investigate accidents for a living. Need I say more??