View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 07:05 AM
<--- The famed Diesel-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post
Send the head to Extrude-Hone. Cleaned and ported at the same time...
I would love to have it done by them! Pretty dang expensive though! They may be a bit baffled and disgruntled at what they would see upon opening that box

They are some good folks over there. Back when I got my Duramax some years ago, I wanted some bigger injector nozzles for it and getting them meant buying from one of the bigger performance diesel injection service companies like Industrial Injection, Scheid Diesel, DDP, etc. I called ExtrudeHone and had them do them for me. Having 8 duramax nozzles honed to 50% over stock size cost me about $750 if memory serves me right Bone stock, you really couldn't see the holes in the tip with bare eyes they were so small, but after honing you could albeit still tiny! Kinda neat sticking a straw on a can of brake cleaner in them and seeing the tiny precise little plumes come out! That common rail stuff is somethin else
You should see the insides of a Bosch CP3 common rail pump! I actually modded my own pump but not before I got a junker to test on. They aren't very big (a triangular shape about 6"x3" and hollow in the middle) but the forged hunk of steel the pump body is made from must weigh 30-40lbs! And unfathomably hard, carbide tools wouldn't even scratch it. Not even center punch and hammer, broke a Snap-On center punch tip, not even a scratch on it. Standard abrasive disks wouldn't really touch it either, just wiped the disk smooth! I've never seen anything like it before. Guess thats what it takes to generate 40,000+psi rail pressure

82' 300SD, parting out!
93' 300TE 4matic, parting out!
83' 240D Project Cheap Drive
89' 300E, parting out!
74' Datsun 510 wagon
88' RX7 10thAE, 13B track car build soon

Skippy~ As for perception: Drive what you like and can afford. Those who don't like it can supply vacuum to one of your components. LOL

If you need parts, I have some!