View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Rich, so glad you are alright, especially that insurance is actually moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooseppi Luna View Post
Ohh... right. Which would be better to fire? I guess the tensioner wouldn't destroy any other part of the car with it, whereas the airbag takes out part of the dash and blows air bag dust all over the place.
I hate air bags! Even when new are useless! My Focus ZXW ended up going into a concrete center divider (young and poor design of front wheel drive), buckled eight places, smashed up and crushed the drive line, but none, including the side bag that would have reduced the whiplash, didn't go off. What use is that?

Further, they must be replaced every 10 years to be reliable, according to Volvo. Who has done that?

S.R.S. seat belts need no special attention and hold you in the seat the same or better than S.R.S. air bags.

My Volkswagen has no tensioners, got hit in the passenger front, and moved less than the Focus tensioner belts. Folks worry too much! Get in, drive, and if you are hurt, that's life! How did our parents survive riding loose in a basket placed in the back with no restraint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmousemalibu View Post
I think there is a lot to be said for this! Also a shameless plug to go get involved in autocross. You need not have a sports car (though more fun) nor do you need to be the fastest guy on earth. Its a mix of aggressive driving and braking and can really get a person a custom to how there car might react in an avoidance maneuver or hard braking. Can teach you how your vehicle reacts to various inputs. I can honestly say it's kept me out of an accident or two. And on top of it all, its a lot of fun and not expensive to go try. Our local region club is $30 for non-members for the day and you can use a club helmet for free.
Ditto!

In my last accident was able to reduce damage by not hitting strait on and just about two weeks ago, hit construction dirt, and slid Dukes of Hazard style through the intersection! Don't recommend it, but was a thrill! Point is, unlike the Focus, know the limits much better, know it handles good for a S.L.S. wagen, and know how to focus and look away from the accident and to opportunity.

And I had loads of fun in the safety class! I surprised my teacher by how drastic I improved lap time, and was marginally "beat" by a G wagen, who mostly had A.B.S. going for him.

One other note, maintain your suspension! You need it to apply the down force from the breaks. I didn't know mine was shot until I couldn't lock up the breaks due to slop. Put me at fault and got a very hefty ticket, along with the pain and agony seeing the classic I am custodian of damaged.

I also didn't ever think of both feet stop, teacher didn't even mention it! Very good idea! Still young and learning, and less wrecks than my age group, so not experienced.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.