View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmousemalibu View Post
My Snap-On dealer (biggest in the state) has a huge truck and a lot of inventory and he showcases boxes on his truck and happened to have mine in there one day, I had to have it! I'll keep it for as long as i'm around, shouldn't need to ever replace it. My previous box, a much smaller craftsman was running out of room and showing wear n' tear from daily use so i decided to upgrade. I could by a new or barely used car for what that box costs. I'd hate to count my total I have wrapped up in tools, lets just say I could buy a small house, payed in full

As for quality, each person must weigh that on there own. How much are you going to use them? How much should I spend? Etc. I'd say buy the better end of what you can afford. I don't mean like, go sell a kidney just to buy the best you can, but buy what your budget allows comfortably.

I tossed in a pic of hollow ground (right pic) VS flat ground (Left pic) tipped screwdrivers, easy to see why a HG engages better
mytmousemalibu, talk about an impulse purchase!

I buy on the edge, as good quality tools mean that much to me!

Thank you so much for the visual, from a visual person!

So, are any of your screwdrivers hollow ground or come close? I mean, better grinding on the American and European?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmalu View Post
Any of you guys remember Wizard tools?

There use to be Western Auto stores. They sold everything, appliances, lawn mowers, tools you name it.

They had a line of tools with their name on them, Wizard.

I bought a 3/8" ratchet maybe about 1970, I used the heck out of it, and became my favorite
even over craftsman. It had a Flex Head that actually stayed put instead of flopping around.

Finally about 10 years back it finally gave up the ghost.
I searched around for info on them but come up more or less empty handed.

I replaced it with a Craftsman 3/8 with a Flex head, and cut the handle to the length the Wizard has.
The damn Flex will not stay put, so doesn`t get much use.

I agree with Rollguy, those Craftsman with the lazer etched sizes on the Sockets are hard to read, and with wear, almost impossible to read.

There is no warranty for replacement if the etch wears off.

Charlie
Charlie, looks like it died the same way as Monkey Wards and Longs Drugs.

What broke on the Wizard ratchet?

When did you try and get the socket replaced based on finish? Will other brands not do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
You can find some amazing good deals that way. My first tools were bought at a swap meet in Tucson, Arizona about 1970. A mix of brands (one wrench at a time guarantees variety), about half American-made, a dollar or two apiece, I still have most of them. Later in the '70s and '80s I bought a lot of Craftsman tools while they were still Made in USA. Since then I've bought a variety of brands including Harbor Freight tools; some are junk, some are OK. If I were wrenching for a living I could justify the high-priced tools.

Jeremy
Jeremy, love to find a swap meet, but I am clueless... Especially when it comes to quality and selection.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.