View Single Post
Old 02-15-2003, 09:00 PM

camshaft bearing torque HELP!

hello folks

i have a problem. i'm replacing the cam in my 88 420sel. i just can't get the socket head 10mm bolts to break free. this is what i have done so far.

1. after making the 8mm socket tool i tried using a long handle 1/2" drive rachet but could not break the bolt loose.

2. then i tried a 150 lb standard torque wrench. had it to 100 ft lbs and nothing.

3. then i tried a 3/8" drive impact gun. not an air drive rachet but a small 3/8 drive gun and nothing

4. then i tried a 1/2" drive impact gun (250 ft lbs rated) nothing

5. then i got my craftsman clicker torque wrench set at 150 ft lbs and i finally broke the 8mm allen wrench shaft. twisted it right off.

other things i've done.

checked the torque in the book. cylinder head bolts are 60 nm (60 x .738 = 44.3 ft lbs)

camshaft bearing towers call for 50 nm (50 x .738 = 36.9 ft lbs)

checked for a left hand thread in the book and nothing mentioned so i assume std right hand threads meaning ccw to remove.

in prep to tear this engine apart to do the rails i discovered it had already been done. car has 143k. so that means it has been worked on in it's past. what i am afraid of is that who ever worked on this car might have had to take the heads off and in assembling it did not use an anti-seize compound on the bolts and may have galled the block and the threads.

i tried several bolts and they all seem to be stuck the same. has anybody got a suggestion on what i'm doing wrong. i'm no rookie when it comes to motors and such. but i've never encountered a bolt i could not undo

1972 350sl Red/Blk 117k
1988 420sel charcoal/Blk 140k
1987 420sel gold/tan 128k
See My Cars at:http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aytj/index.html

Pound it to fit then Paint it to match!

There is only First Place and Varying degrees of last!

Old age and deceit will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm every time!

Putting the square peg in the round hole is not hard... IF you do it fast enough!

Old enough to know better but stupid enough to do it anyway!