View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 09:22 PM

Upadate!! Got rebuilt needle/piston!!

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting this update to you.

My Permatex sealant solution only lasted about 3-weeks/200+ miles. Could have lasted longer; but it was not going to be a permanent fix. A fellow at work had very good results at a carburetor shop that rebuilt his 4-barrel for a 1968 Mustang. The good news is that the shop is local. That was really important to me because this is my daily driver - and I hate "down" time in my transportation.

I spoke to Merrill, the boss of The Carburetor Refactory and told him my tale of woe. No problem, he said. He gets this request every now and then. Hopefully he will has some available on hand when you need them. Otherwise he will have to send out his cores to get re-gasketed.

Fortunately for me, he had one on hand. I went over, gave him my needle/piston with holed gasket as a core exchange, and I got a beautiful specimen in return -- I did have to pay for it but it was under $45 inc tax (I don't have the receipt near me now). I installed the new piece right there and ---- oh, happy day -- no drippy, leaky gas anywhere. Bone dry. Been that way ever since.

Drove it around, to get the engine good and hot, parked, then began spritzing the carbs, manifolds, headers, etc on that side with water from a spray bottle. Really cheap steam clean. Went to a self-serve car wash the next day to do it right - but nice and gentle so you don't get water where it should not be.

The Carburetor Refactory
815 Harbour Way South #5
Richmond, CA
(510) 237-1277
Carb / Carburetor Kits | Rebuild Kits | Holley, Mikuni, Weber, and More

Merrill does nothing but carbs. Highly recommended.

All the best!