Thread: 1978 300d trans
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2003, 11:43 AM
woody

If you require an answer beyond "yes"

You can buy a new manual for your transmission from ATSG for about $20 and then you can be as smart as these techs. But first you need to know what type of transmission you have( I believe you have a W4B025) but that does you no good. You need the Mercedes # Here is where to find it: On PASS side of trans. right above the oil pan near the front, just behind the dipstick tube, you will see some very small numbers. Get a rag and wipe them so you can easily read them. What you are looking for in the middle of all these numbers is: something like 722.301 You need the 722.3, etc to go to ATSG website. I aploogize but the only way I know how to tell you the link is to type it out, sorry.
http://atsg.biz/cgi-local/shop.pl/page=estore.html/sid=put-sid-here

If you scroll down to the bottom, there is a search feature, you enter the number you found, say 722.3(drop the last two decimals) and add Mercedes. The search will bring up the correct manual, mine was $20. I saw some idiot on Ebay bid that manual up to $61 when he could buy it new for $20. If I didn't get the link right, you can find your transmission number in the meantime and email me later. When my son, the computer whiz gets up. I'll have him post it so you can just click on it. Hope this helps.