View Single Post
Old 02-16-2003, 11:17 PM

What a fun project. You sound well versed and ready. I have done some of the work you have listed.

The front sway bar bushings are a royal pain if the suspension is not detached, when detached or at least loose it is only a pain. They do wear out even though they are extra-large rubber bushings. Changing them makes an incredible difference in front-end ride quality and solid feel. Definitely do repalce them. Additonally where the ends of the front sway bar attaches to the the suspesnion uprights I believe there are bushng that also need to be replaced.

Additonally, carefully check the front bar for paint chips and any surface damage or cracks. Since the bar is so integral and basically buried in the car, now would be an excellent time to ensure it is in good condition.

Be sure to check the rear sway bar links. They often get nasty and loose.

>Replace disks. Should I use new bolts or just use locktight on the old bolts?<
-They are attached to the hub so you can leave them. Just inspect.

Be sure and change your powersteering pump filter and ideally the fluid. Sometimes this makes a big difference in steering feel.

How is the steering gear box? Are you familiar with its adjustments and tolerances?

Renewing the suspension is a great project and the results are well worth the effort.

'03 E320 Wagon-Sold
'95 E320 Wagon-Went to Ex
'93 190E 2.6-Wrecked
'91 300E-Went to Ex
'65 911 Coupe (#302580)