View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post

I checked the voltage in the parking lot and it was reading at 12.1v at idle. I am kind of concerned but when I push the linkage it increases with throttle. ...............
12.1 volt may be normal while idling (especially if you are using juice like headlights or blower) depending what your idle rpm is set at and the diameter of your alt. pulley. As long as it goes up above 13 .4 volts or so when you rev the engine above 1500 rpm the alt is probably ok.

"Then I had to go over the stator. Cleaning, sanding, cleaning, sanding and finally painting. I went blue."

IMO that was unnecessary and could have harmed it. The coating on those copper winding (called magnet wire or enamel wire) is very thin and should not be touched beyond using a paint brush or blowing with compressed air to get rid of dust. Solvent in the paint, if not compatible, could melt the thin coating.

That new Brazil made Bosch voltage regulator does not look familiar. I'd put the old one back in if it was working fine since it was already "burned in" and time tested. Unlike vacuum tubes, voltage regulators, being a semiconductor device, does not wear out or burn out unless abused.