View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM

I'm going to attempt this repair this week, during the evening hours when I get off work. That'll give me roughly 3 hours a night (I go to sleep early, I need my 8 hours...) to mess around with this. I don't have time during the weekends for several weeks, but I don't want to wait any longer. I want to start driving this car.

I found a how-to right here:
Pelican Mercedes-Benz Tech Article - Replacing Your Front and Rear Flex Discs on your Mercedes Benz - 190E, W124, W126, W201, W123

It looks pretty straight forward, but I had three questions, since I'm not the most mechanically inclined person:
1) The flex discs look identical on both sides. The only difference is there is a number written on one side. I guess that side should face the drive shaft then? I've read other folks where the flex disc had "this side to driveshaft" written on it in German, but mine don't have that; they only have a small number
2) How can I jack up the transmission? Can I do this the same as I did when I jacked up the engine, underneath the transmission pan with a large piece of lumber to support it and spread the weight? Will the transmission pan hold this? The oil pan on the engine had no problems supporting the engine weight with a piece of lumber.
3) The how-to says to "lightly grease the fittings". What do they mean with "the fittings" and what kind of grease should I use for that? Brake grease?

Thanks!

I'll have the car on ramps; someone here mentioned that you can jack up one wheel on the lower trailing arm temporarily to rotate the drive shaft, and I'd rather have the car on ramps then on jack-stands. Just personal preference I guess; I feel safer with the vehicle on ramps.
The Turd: 2007 Toyota Camry (wife's car, 118k miles)