View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 11:13 AM

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies. This all makes sense.

I am pretty easy on the clutch, but I admit I drive the car pretty hard, if that makes sense.

When I shift, I mentally pretend that there is a 'red light' that turns on when the clutch pedal is pressed down. I try to reduce the amount of time that the light is "on". That said, I don't slam the clutch, rather I engage it quickly and smoothly, which is pretty easy to do on a 240D.

Once the gears are engaged, then I will wind the engine up, usually to 3600-4250 RPM before I shift. Before entering a corner, I will downshift before the corner... typically by double-clutching and speed matching the transmission and engine speed on downshift... also easy to do on a 240D. Often I will practice my heel and toe action on corners. It's actually quite do-able on a 240D.

Anyway, my daily drivers have always been manual transmission cars, and the clutches last quite a long time.

Sincerely,

Packman