View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 01:22 AM
Mercedes Fanatic

I tried every darn thing I possibly could. I tried easy outs into the bolt heads, drilling them out and using an easy out (not enough access for the drill), using the bolt extractors linked above (one size too small, the next too large), etc.

I drilled out one of the bolt heads. Now I only had one bolt left. I spent about 6 hours on this bolt. Finally, I called it quits and just pulled the vacuum pump until it snapped off the area where the final bolt remained. I grabbed the Vice Locks, clamped them down, and got the stupid bolt out.

Good thing I already have a vacuum pump ready and waiting. I'm sad and frustrated it came to this, but whats done is done.

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

I don't know why Mercedes thought grade 8.8 bolts was sufficient. My new bolts are grade 12.9 (IIRC). This should prevent similar grief in the future.

One quick question, though: Both pumps (mine and the one from the junk yard) have RTV sealant on the gasket. Is this needed? I bought a new MB Gasket from the dealer. I'm not a big fan of RTV when it can be avoided.