View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 12:18 AM
Not so amused

I know you asked for input on the videos, not for general comments. But indulge me while I make two points.

First, I would start by suggesting that you ask the publisher of the videos what qualifications he has for instructing others to rebuild a diesel engine. He blows way too much hot air in his sample video for me to ever put him on my radar for a DIY video.

I also find some of what he says to be simplistic and judgmental. Ok I can live with that for an alternator upgrade project but if he carries over the "I know better" attitude to the engine rebuilding, then run don't walk, away.

Now, when I say that, I am assuming that by rebuild you mean a complete rebuild. If you just want to re-ring, there is ample expertise on the forum to assist you.

Second: there have been discussions over the years on this forum about rebuilding versus going for a used motor. The consensus tends to end up with going for used.

If you search you will find a parts list for a complete rebuild put together by Whunter, one of the mods and a highly experienced technician. If you have not digested that yet, you will want to.

If you do get the video, I encourage you to check anything said in the video with the forum members.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22