View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Like many of you, when I see an old MB diesel for sale, I like to go and take a look, especially if it's close by. Sometimes I'm just window shopping, other times I'm actually looking to buy one. What continues to amaze me is how unrealistic people are about the value of their cars.

So I go to look at this 1980 300SD. The fact that it was a low miles (107k) W116 from the South piqued my interest. I wouldn't mind owing one of those at some point.

Where to begin? They had taken it to the dealer to get an inventory of what needed to be done. Needs $3500 worth of work...which of course could be done for less (to the owner's credit, he wants the buyer to have an authoritative list of what needs to be done). But the list goes on....needs new alternator, new vacuum valve, driver's window inoperable, various rust spots (though not terrible), etc.... The transmission certainly performed terribly...though I'm sure it is vacuum related. Interior decent but not great. You get the idea.

And they want $8,000. $8,000!!

One hardly knows how to respond....I just wished them well, expressing the hope that they wind up keeping it (because they clearly love the car).

I've not yet figured out a way to persuade people that they live in a fantasy world...perhaps no point in even trying. I guess it's just a matter of reality settling in over many, many months....
If you really want the car, re contact them with what you will pay. An !$8,000! 80 300SD better be in perfect working order.

The sellers in this case ought to 86 with all the associated necessary repairs estimates. That's not helping them get their asking $s. Let the shoppers do the analysis and haggling from the $8K price.