View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Not so amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
Drove to NH to see a nicely photographed diesel oldsmobile. Described running and driving, good pics, glowing description by seller about use. Call

You meet the good, the bad and the ugly. Sometimes the latter two at once.

There was the time, when I was shopping for my first w116 -- even back in '97 a hard to find car in unrotted condition in these parts -- and I came upon an ad for a lovely looking dark blue 450sel: "spent winters in Florida."

Off like a rifle shot I am to go see it. "My grandma's car" announces the vendor. Who happens to be of a foreign persuasion who, were I to indulge in stereotypes, is not exactly renowned for adherence to the law.

Well, yes it's bloody gorgeous. Interior like new. Gleaming but very well done repaint. Underside to make a tear come to your eye, wintered in Florida (and inland FLA) no doubt.

Only problem? All four door sills have long rectangular patches welded in, not flush but over the main sill. Very amateur work, and the paint has been touched up over them.

Think back to the French Connection, fellas.

I walked away. The idea that one day down the road I might be crossing the border into the USA and a Customs drug dog who happened to be out for a dump in the border post yard would freak on my car, was just too much.

I wonder if grandma (assuming there was a grandma) knew what her rockers were packed with, on her return trips from The Sunshine State.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22