View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 03:10 AM

WVO for 80's Mercedes Newbie Questions

So, I've found what seems to be a VERY good condition 82 300sd that I'm looking at and hopefully buying in the morning. Great mileage, pristine condition, seems like a rich oldster who has garaged it and maintained it, so fingers crossed.

I'm really interested in trying to do a single tank conversion and have been trying to read up on it but there is SO much info out there and it all assumes that everyone is an expert in the area, so kind of at a loss.

I live in central NC so I would only run the wvo from say April/May through October. Can the cleaned wvo be left in the tank when diesel is added? I read somewhere it shouldn't be more than 5%, so does the system have to be flushed to go back to straight diesel? Also, is there a simple kit for sale anywhere with decent instructions and all the parts I'd need (other than stuff I can get locally at an auto parts store) for a REASONABLE price? I keep finding sites that say kits, and then just have all these diff parts and I'm not sure which ones I need, which ones I don't, etc etc. Or a simple manual that shows the parts needed for a single tank system would be nice, about how much would I be looking to spend for all the parts?

Finally, when it comes to filtering even more varied opinions. For light usage could I just get by with filter bags and an old 55 gal drum I find cheap? Someone locally on CL has a centrifuge, tanks, the whole shebang for sale and if I could get it at the right price I might go that way. With the centrifuge it is my understanding I would just run the veggie oil through that and viola be done, right? Or am I missing something and there are more steps needed?

Thanks in advance guys, like I said I'm usually the research figure stuff out on my own type but there are SOOO many sites with differing opinions I just need to know the BASICS before I can understand a lot of what they are even saying.