View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
Fifteen MPH equates to 22 ft per sec. When moving from lane to lane I usually look in my rear view first then my side view. Side view mirror has a limited field of view. If I am in stop and go or slow moving traffic, that bike will have traveled 60 or 80 feet by the time I start moving over. I am looking for things that are there. I am making a judgement on the flow of traffic, not something moving 15mph faster than anything else on the road. I agree with Walgamuth, I think it's looking for trouble.
It's not "looking for trouble" because you're discounting the rider and only taking yourself into account. You're relying on mirrors, riders are looking ahead and scanning, constantly.

Moreover, you'll see them coming if you even glance in your side-view mirror, at least if you are someone who is actually aware that motorcycles share the public road and actively watch out for them (most drivers fail this part of the test, which accounts for the classic "I never saw him" after they have turned directly in front of a rider at an intersection).

May I suggest that you, too read the articles in the two links I posted? Knowledge is a good thing...