View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Linesider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post
OK, so when you manually energize the contactor, the unit works properly?

If so, I would pull and re-seat all of the low voltage connections relating to the contactor, the coil, low voltage cutoff switch (if equipped).

It sounds to me like poor voltage to the contactor.
Yes. The contactor is working correctly. Or at least it appears to work correctly. The unit starts up and runs fine, cools great, etc... Problem is that after a minute or 2 of running that big timer relay starts clicking on and off. When it does, the fan speed goes up and down and sometimes it shuts off completely. Then more clicking and after a minute or 2 the fan comes back on. Meanwhile the compressor and Condenser fan continue to run unabated.

During periods when the unit is running and the evaporator fan shuts off, I can actually go out there and tap on that big relay and the evaporator fan will kick back on.

Yesterday, I went out there to tap on that timer relay and I decided to check the circuit breaker again. Just touching the circuit breaker caused it to fall and shut off. So, obviously the circuit breaker is bad. This is an old house and the circuit breaker looks like it has been through the ringer. I'm going to replace that here late today or tomorrow.

More weirdness though. Before I left the house this morning, I turned the unit off so it would not run while I was gone. I just got home about 1 hour ago. So, I went out there and firmly flipped that circuit breaker, came back inside and turned on the unit and no issues at all! It has come on about 4 times now and it is working perfectly. The relay is not clicking, the fan is not shutting off etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty View Post
Breakers go bad all of the time. They are cheap and easy to eliminate as a possible problem.
Agreed!

It must be related to voltage or some sort of timer malfunction right?

I'll know more after I replace the breaker. Thanks again for all the input!

1985 300D (SOLD)