View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloride View Post
No aviation expert here but I highly doubt they climb like shown around the :40 mark. Also how many concept cars ever hit the market as shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Know View Post
There were a couple of angles where the wing design is really beautiful. The whole thing has a certain elegance to it.

With no passengers or cargo? Absolutely. The thing is a hot rod. I don't know how long it could maintain that angle, which is why it levels off so quickly, too.

Have you not seen any of the other videos of this plane.

And it's not a concept. Boeing has delivered more than 280 Dreamliners, the one in the video is the 787-9. The -10 is now in production as well, but none have been delivered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
I think it is real but it is an optical illusion using camera angles. If the camera was moving down and panning up as the plane was taking off and moving up the angle of 787 would look more dramatic than it actually was.
I think there are several factors at play.

First off, yes, commercial airliners have capabilities far beyond what we would normally think of them doing. Especially when, as mentioned, passengers, luggage, cargo, food carts, etc... are left off of the plane.

Secondly, camera angles can certainly make the unexpectedly steep climbs and banks look all the more so. This effect is exaggerated (possibly too much) when we're viewing something already outside of our perceived norms. Making the climb look impressively steep is good. Making it look ridiculously steep so that everyone is talking about it and your video goes viral, is better. Taking so far that everyone thinks you're faking it, not as good.

Thirdly, was the interior of the plane ever open to display? Is there an interior? It is entirely possible that the plane is gutted (or rather, hasn't had everything installed yet), cabin features and fixtures are missing, and the weight is significantly reduced. Combine that with tweaks to the engine control software, a "tune" if you will, that would never be allowed in actual use, and performance can be incredible.

I know down in the desert around Mojave there are outfits that refit airliners for different users, and I've watched them take planes on test flights that seemed downright unholy. Airliners aren't meant to move like that... But if they did, I'd pay extra!

As for the 787, plane seems nice enough. Shame most air carriers will just use it to Break Guitars.

MV