View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 PM

AC is often a simple repair. On the used 1982 Dodge Aries I bought years ago, it was simply a bad ground for the AC clutch. My 1984 300D came w/ no refrigerant, and still w/ R-12 fittings (much worse to leave an R-134A system w/ no pressure). I thought, "little to lose" so sucked a vacuum which held, charged 2 cans of Duracool, and hasn't leaked any that I noticed in 3 years and still blows cold. Only problem was I found the temp switch for the radiator fan was erratic so replaced. If the R-4 compressor ever fails, I have a new one I bought for $50 on ebay (not now guys, shop for AC stuff in the winter!).

My wife occasionally pushes the "need an SUV" silliness on me. I wondered who fell for those dumb car ads. When she came to the U.S. in the 1980's, it was "need a Honda Accord". Since the SUV fad has about played out, next will be "need a car with a crazy new color", though "cow-poop brown" will quickly lose its attraction. I had a pickup and will never go back. Our 4 cyl minivan now serves for hauling. With the seats out, I can carry much more volume than a pickup and the load is secure. Our 6 cyl minivan tows our camping trailer fine and has AWD for those icy Tahoe trips. Regardless, it is always nice to have a spare vehicle for those times yours won't start, or you need to work on one and don't enjoy the "must finish tonight so I can drive to work tomorrow" pressure.