View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM

What's inside that header tank?

Before I tossed my old header tank, I decided to saw it open to see what sort of structure was on the inside. It's a bit more complicated than I expected. Photos below. The right side of the tank is a honeycomb of plastic pockets. Water entry is limited by a small hole in the bottom of each cell, and a small hole in the top which prevents the cell from ever being completely full. This traps a bit of air, which is what allows fluid expansion without fluid loss. You'll notice that the air pockets are filled with black goop, which seems to be a combination of oil and algae. As you can see in the last photo, these cells never really fill. The new tanks have something rattling around inside. I expect its a silicate SCA (supplemental coolant additive), which gradually mixes with the coolant. A very interesting design.
Attached Thumbnails
What's inside that header tank?-img_1028.jpg   What's inside that header tank?-img_1030.jpg   What's inside that header tank?-img_1031.jpg   What's inside that header tank?-img_1032.jpg   What's inside that header tank?-img_1033.jpg