View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM

Reviving this as I'm having an intermitted problem with the clutch and am looking for some advise.

As I posted on 3/19, I tried several different bleeding processes and never really noticed anything to lead me to believe I had successfully bled the clutch system. When I went to try the "drive around the yard" suggestion I found the clutch working and assumed the bleeding to be a success.

I've been daily driving since and have encountered a couple of times where the clutch didn't appear to be fully disengaging after the car had set for 8 hours or more. For example, drive to work with normal clutch function. Go to drive home that evening and cluch isn't right...not like no clutch function at all, but not completely disengaging such that I'm having to find the right gear for the engine rpm's vs speed. Driving down the road in 4th or 5th gear and the clutch pedal can be depressed to allow the engine to rev higher? Could this be the clutch is "almost" disengaged and is slipping but won't disengage enough to allow the transmission to slow down for proper shifting? Drive 20 miles down the interstate then not using clutch then clutch works again? This happened again yesterday.

With the well documented troubles folks have had bleeding a W201 clutch, I'm thinking the logical cause of this would be air in the clutch hydrolic system and I'll make another attempt to bleed it again this evening. I bought the master and slave from PeachParts. It was a PITA to replace so I sure hope the new parts aren't defective. Is this what everyone would suggest?

I'm confused as to how the problem comes and goes. When I've had poorly bled brakes before, the pedal was always spongy until the air was bled out of the system. Since the clutch bleeds from the bottom up is it possible the problem could come and go like I've experienced or is it likely I've got clutch / pressure plate or transmission problems?