View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
Whos trying to scare the OP?

Hes already of the firm opinion that towing is improved without antilock brakes and that antilock brakes caused several accidents that werent his fault. If anything, the rest of us should be scared of his total conviction in bad data.

As a man who tows frequently, whats your opinion on the utility of functioning ABS in a towing situation?

For the record i understand what may give the OP this belief. In an emergency situation to have the brake pedal sudenly pulse so fast its vibrating certainly does feel like you are losing brake power. However, theres a difference between whats actually happening and what you think is happening
I thought the question was about the 126.

Towing? I have towed campers for nearly 40 years so at least half that was before abs became common. In all that time I have had the abs actuate while towing just once. I'd have to say it was not a factor one way or the other that time, I don't think.

If my abs on my big dodge became inop would I fix it? Probably but it would not be a big deal to me.

I don't see how abs can possibly help you stop quicker in the 126 mb if you are on dry pavement though. It functions by releasing the brakes so that right there means you will be getting x% less braking.

My dodge is another matter though. It has abs I am pretty sure but perhaps only on the rear. I also think there is an automatic compensator for braking with different weights on the back of the truck....so having the abs inop on it might be a little dicey.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.