View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Walgamuth: The starter and flywheel are original, so the number of teeth has to be correct. The transmission was replaced about 3 years ago, and the alignment could be an issue, but I saw no problems when pulling it out to indicate that.

Vstech: I have been driving the car for 4 years now, and the starter has been making an occaisional grinding-screeching "slipping" sound for the last 2 years. After the first time it made that sound it wouldn't start and I called a tow truck. The driver suggested trying to turn the crank a bit to see if the starter would engage and his trick worked. I used an adjustable wrench on the power steering pump nut to nudge the crank. That wrench stays in the car all the time now...

SL320: Wow... that was detailed. Thanks!! - I have hunch that you are correct about the timing between the solenoid pull-in and the motor full power cycle being off. When you think about, there are several wear points that could affect this timing. The drive gear teeth are indeed worn, but the nylon solenoid plunger link, the yoke pivot, the slip ring, etc. are all worn. I wonder if it would be possible to shim or otherwise adjust one of these components to cause the gear teeth to engage earlier... Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly willing to order a rebuilt starter, but I can't help wondering.