View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 AM

oi... that's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
To expand on this:...

Sometimes you will get a partial / weak click usually with a hot engine. This is caused by an otherwise good starter not getting enough amps through the starter trigger wire. A very common fix ( and many times a factory design ) is to use a Ford style remote solenoid ( relay ) to trigger the starter. This is also called a "hot start kit". The Ford solenoid takes much less current than a starter trigger...
I get a weak click with a hot engine, followed by the screeching/grinding but no engagement (not always). I was going to mention the hot engine variable... I was wondering about the start trigger wire supplying enough amps to the pull-in windings. I have a dc solid state relay (ssr) that I can use to switch the current ( I measured 11 amps) and just use the starter trigger as a low level signal. That should improve the hot start issue.
To improve the pull-in / motor start timing issue I fabricated a .090" stainless shim that slips into the nylon link: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM_A_7XykROfbuGEj9paTlH6sotdJFSe0FakD-r - I am hoping that this will not put undue stress on the nylon link...
I am also making a new 2/O cable from the front battery post (battery moved to trunk) to the starter to minimize voltage sag under load.