View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM

Transmission: rebuild or repair?

Hi all,

My 84 300D is currently at a mechanic getting the 200k mile service it needs to get things where they should be.

One point of contention came out with regards to the transmission. The transmission currently shifts a little hard (which is most likely related to the vacuum pressure and modulator rather than a specific defect within the transmission itself).

However, it has also been displaying all of the symptoms of a failing B2 piston: slow to get into Drive from Park, slipping out of gear once any throttle is applied, and only slowly re-engaging once the engine is revved up. Subsequent shifts between 2nd and 4th gears appear fine, hard shifts and occasional flaring notwithstanding.

The mechanic working on the car is recommending a full transmission rebuild. I'd usually discount that suggestion entirely, but the car is 30 years old with 200k miles and an unknown transmission history.

Unlike many members here, I have nowhere to do any sort of heavy DIY work on the car, and the transmission just isn't something I can realistically work on in the street. At this point, I'm fairly certain that replacing the B2 piston would solve most of my immediate issues. However, the idea of going for the rebuild now as a piece of preventative maintenance doesn't seem unreasonable.

All and any thoughts, comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!