Thread: AC service
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 03:08 PM

What year is the car? In my 1985 300D, after flushing all the hoses, new O-rings including expansion valve, and installing a Sanden, within a year or so the low pressure return hose started leaking green oil onto my CA air cleaner. I then replaced all the rubber hoses (exc. thin "liquid line"). The rubber looked a lot worse once I cut the ferrules off (search my post), so all were on borrowed time. I am doing that right now on my 1984 300D since the hoses were in the way of my front engine work and similar degradation. I have an AC hose crimper, so isn't hard for me. I had to vent 2 cans worth of Duracool from both cars, otherwise fairly inexpensive.

You can use your factory compressor hose fittings w/ a Sanden, as myself and another here did (see my post). You need to bend the tubes slightly to clear, which is easier when off the car. You also need the correct Sanden head (see my post).

If you do give up and just vent the R-12 to the atmosphere, insure no EPA drones are watch you. They still claim there truly was an ozone-hole problem, even though the stories of 3-legged frogs in Costa Rica turned out to be due to a bacteria that was always there. Their R-134A replacement probably proved worse to the earth since a bad green-house gas and already outlawed in many eco-minded countries.