View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 AM

If you sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body and its running longer you should enrichen the mixture a bit. Here is what I did while using a multimeter. Take off the diagnostic cap on driver side fender and use ports 2 and 3. Set the multimeter to read voltage and set the dial to 20. Insert the probes into the # 2 and 3 ports when the car is warmed up and running. If the voltage is (-) negative, swap the probes around. You should see your voltage jumping between numbers, but always remaining within a certain range, i.e., 4.6 through 5.7, something like that. Remember the ranges that the voltage shows in case you need to get back to them. Now you need to access the fuel/air mixture screw which is located under the air cleaner housing. Using a (3mm, I believe) hex key insert it into the open end of the adjustment port and press down, the screw is spring-loaded so once you reach the screw you will feel some resistance. Press down gently and kind of turn the hex key until you feel that the key is inside the screw. Once the key is in, slowly press down and turn the screw 1/4 turn clockwise. Observe the voltage on the multimeter for 15 seconds. You will notice that the voltage readings and range have increased. Wait until it stabilizes, meaning it will slowly go up to its max range then it will begin to jump around in btween its lowest point in the voltage and its highest point. Turn the car off and then try starting it again and see if it helps. If it does a bit or you're not sure give it another 1/4 turn clockwise following the same procedure. Also, be sure to remove the hex key after each turn you the spring doesn't shoot it out.

1990 190E 3.0L