Thread: Wasp attack
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Stanley View Post
Certainly no fun. A few years ago we had several invasions of paper wasps, setting up nests under the eaves of our shed and under fence rails. One nest was even behind the tail light of our old '85 Ford truck where they came swarming out while I was loading up stuff for a dump run.

In all cases, the ferocity was incredible. The biggest nest was about 7 inches across, good for about 50-75.

Now I always keep a couple of cans of wasp spray near where I'm working, plus one can in the console of the truck.

Get the kind that shoots 20 feet, the stuff knocks them down pretty quickly. It's best to hit them when it's getting toward nightfall the the air temps are lower, and most importantly, they are all back at the nest after a day's foraging.

If you kill a nest and knock it down during the day, the workers will come back later looking for home.
Might ought to get a can of that. So what happens when the workers come back? I'm guessing they would make a new home.

I was reading that they make their nests out of wood fibers they've found and chewed to make into a sort of pulp.

Once I opened the door to the gas cap on my Chev van. It had been sitting a while and a paper nest was hanging next to the cap. Flipped it off and crushed the poor things at the gas station. Must not have been enough wind under the cap to rouse them while on the road.