View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
OOpppsss~! I thought he was talking about an early 300SD of the mid 80's style.

In that case I would go for the diesel. Parts for the 280E are hard to find and when you go to sorting out the FI system you need to take out a second mortgage.

And the cams also have a tendency to go flat. And have you priced a distributor for a 280E lately?

And the thermal convertor is only on 1975-1976 cars? Cars this old have sometimes had engine swaps and the thermal convertor is left in place when a PO made the swap. I have seen this a few times and when I asked why the owners just said it was the law. (???) I just tell them to ditch the thing and pick up some non-thermal manifolds from Ebay since there are plenty of them out there. The thermal convertor was only on cars sold in the Western Zone so it is not like they are common.

But if you get stuck with one it is best to deal with sooner rather than later.
It was my understanding that the m110 is a fairly robust motor with longevity almost as good as the 617, albeit some issues with the FI system now & then. I actually have a Mercedes shop manual for the Bosch fuel injection that I had saved when I had my euro 280ce coupe. Is this not the case?

It's definitely the original euro m110 from 1980, and seems to be in good order.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll: w116 Euro 280se or USA 300sd-img_1377.jpg   Poll: w116 Euro 280se or USA 300sd-img_1431.jpg