View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 AM

Rear Windshield Install!!!
So I found a rear window local, and got my gasket from Pelican. I previously removed the old gasket and trim (you have to be !EXTREMELY! careful with the trim that goes into the window seal, its very flimsy). The rear package deck was cleaned and ready to go, along with the lip around the window opening.

SO! I fetched my window, some windex, the seal, thin cord, some paper towels and last but not least, PAM!

I cleaned the window pretty good, had to scrub the edges to get the old grime off and then put the gasket on.

Next I put the trim on. I thought I lost the center little chrome piece that connects the two pieces of trim, I about had a heart attack and spent 20 minutes looking for it. Found it in the ashtray in the back door.
On the back of the trim it looks like a backwards T, that's what seats in the seal, you really have to push on it to get it seated in the channel.

Next I whipped out my PAM and greased up the channel in the seal that seats over the lip in the window opening, then I stuck nylon cord in it. I should have overlapped it further, after install I had about a 3 inch run of gasket that didn't seat and it took me fishing with a screwdriver a few minutes to get it to seat.

Then I just set the rear window up on the opening (it helps if you have 2 people, one to be inside to pull the cord, and another to be outside to push on the window where the cord is being pulled at, helps it seat better). Then pull the cord!

You have to kinda fiddle with it and pull at an angle to get the seal lip to pop over the channel and seat. It helps if you spray the channel with Pam, the cord with Pam, the lip on the car with Pam, and the back side of the gasket that will be sliding over the lip with Pam. I used pam, you can use what ever. I should have picked up the Lemon Pam, it smells nice.

That's it! If you remove the time I spent looking for stuff and fiddling around with the trim on one of the doors (I got sidetracked). It only took about 20 minutes to get it in. I didn't use any sealant because in the future I plan on removing the window again for body work. Most windshield places will charge a boat load of money to do this, and its actually very simple.

Tada!

I had to celebrate my momentous achievement! So out to sushi with some friends.

-Simpler
I actually considered putting them in the back, I don't know if the 1-1/2 inch bigger would cause any issues with the front suspension. The original 13's are only 5 wide I think maybe 4.5 i'd have to look. I guess theres only one way to find out!!!