View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Total Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Not putting colored ribbons on newborns' heads would save hospitals a little money. I'm thinking the reason we do it is that we are programmed to respond to males and females differently. Not knowing which way to behave is confusing and disorienting at a minimum because people wouldn't know which pronouns to use. I'd vote in favor of a gender neutral pronoun addition to the language.
Agree. People tell little girls that they're pretty and little boys that they're tough or strong. So if that's the compliment you're supposed to get, you never want to be plain or ugly if you're a girl, or vulnerable or "weak" if you're a boy. It dictates what children think they should try to be or become and so how they prioritize things later in life (toughness or being pretty at all times).

The pink stuff is crazy. I had the same experience as Bodhi growing up and I'm always alarmed by how dumbed down girls' toys are too. But the pink is just god awful.

When I have kids I will probably ask people to give things that are gender neutral colors like orange and yellow and green.
"You know, times are changing. Ladies can do stuff now and you're going to have to learn how to deal with it."
"What? Were you saying something? Look, I don't speak Spanish."