View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Introducing "Dolly" - 1962 Fintail 220b

Hello Peaches,

I have a new project! Just acquired a 1962 Mercedes Benz 220b that is a one-owner car with 118,000 miles. Am always searching for vintage cars like this one.

My other Fintail, the Emerald Bullet was purchased by a Navy Pilot in 1962 at the factory in Germany. He drove the 220Sb until he was in his 90s and then gave it to his son.

The original owner of this car was a Major in the Air Force, veteran of WWII and Korea. He bought this 220b at the factory in Germany and drove it until he departed in 1984. He son Doyle kept the car in the garage and started it occasionally. It has not been registered since 1984. In honor of the son Doyle, I am naming the car Dolly (nod to Doyle Brunson who is nick named Dolly).

The car is going to need nearly everything made of rubber; tires, brake hose, clutch hose, belts, coolant hose, windshield gaskets front/rear etc. The car has good bones. Was running when parked. The engine bay is clean (not a greasy mess). This should keep me busy for the next several months.

Luckily, I have a parts car that will be donating some trim pieces. The side view mirror is not stock, so I will be changing that.

One mysterious issue: the glove box is locked. The family could not find the keys. I had a set of keys made. The trunk key should open the glove box, but the key will not slide into the lock. I used a paper click to check for obstruction, but the paper clip easily slid into the top and bottom grooves of the lock indicating no obstruction. I am curious what I will find in there? Do you remember the exciting television event when they opened Al Capone's vault? The vault was empty. But it did create a TV moment.

I will use this thread to share my efforts to resurrect Dolly from 30 years of slumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing "Dolly" - 1962 Fintail 220b-dolly_1962_220b.jpg  

1962 220Sb ~ The Emerald Bullet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx6tN1W48_o
1957 Ponton 220S

2001 S600 Daily Driver
The Universe is Abundant ~ Life is GOOD!http://www.classiccarclock.com