View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 11:30 PM

stalled. pre filter empty

i have an '82 300TD. I run it on WVO. Yesterday I changed my fuel filters and 15 minutes into driving stalled. Put it in park, turned the key, gave it some gas and it started right up and was fine. Today I drove an hour at highway speeds and it was fine. This evening I was idling in the driveway about to leave and it stalled. Looked under the hood and the pre-filter was totally empty. When I pump it I get bubbles but it never pulls any fuel into it.

The fuel gauge is reading a quarter tank and I had just put diesel in it this morning so I assume that is accurate. I'm wondering if when I changed my fuel filter yesterdday I the priming pump broke and now is leaking air? If that was the case there is no real way to bypass that for an hours drive to get home huh?

I suppose the fuel strainer in the tank could be clogged too but seems interesting that this all happened right after i changed a filter. Also, the fact that the pre-filter was totally empty (but not the secondary filter) after sitting for a day would indicate that there was an air leak and fuel drained back to the tank correct?

Any other thoughts on what I should look into?

THanks