View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 AM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxthe1 View Post
The different switch funtions are voltage coded by differing resistors in series with the various switches. When a switch gets dirty its resistance goes up and gets recognized as a different switch. A new switch pack will fix the problem but try cycling the switch back and forth quickly a dozen or so times. That will likely clean it enough to regain the screwy function.
Tried clicking the sw a number of times to no avail.
The expert (factory trained) mechanic looked at it this AM, he confirmed its the switch, saying its pretty common.
He tried moving the seat with the ign sw off, then on. It behaved good with the sw off, but badly with the sw on. He said the seat module "brain" uses stored seat settings when the ign sw is off, but when the key is sw on the sw operates direct and thats when it it was screwy. Something to that effect. Memory buttons always worked, just the seat bottom position button was always making the seat go fwd, not back.
This could actually be a big problem, for example if someone trying to make the seat go back wound up getting his legs smashed up against the dash and went into a panic mode, not trying the memory buttons instead calling 911 or something - don't laugh its probably happened!
So I just received a switch I got on eBay for this purpose, its tagged "working" so cross my fingers and hope a $15 switch does the job and lasts a few years.