View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:50 AM

1972 220d...Restore it, Race it, or just drive the dang thing?

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1972 220d w115. Short/long story on the car (as it pertains to me).

I went and looked at the car about 3 weeks ago when it popped up on a for sale sight called "offer up". The car was posted for $2500. A price that I was initially willing to pay, but didn't have. I went about posting things of mine for sale,to come up with the funds, but relatively quickly gave up on the idea of actually getting the money, for this classic Benz.

About 5 days ago, he messaged me again, that he would make a deal for me. I get back to him, a day later, asking what the deal is, still not really expecting that I could afford it. He says $1500...I ponder (with excitement). I set up a deal on several of my items, and look at my finances, and discover, that I can make room for $1200 in my budget for this car. He says I can pay him the other $300 at a later time, and it is agreed. As excited as I can be, I show up to get the car, and give it a closer look this time.
I see some more rust, than I had seen the first time I looked at it, but still nothing that makes me want to pack up and head for the hills. Afterall, this is a car that has nearly 20 years on me, and it still runs...and oh yeah, it's diesel!

I did some more digging today, into the car. And found a bit more...well really just found that the area's that I had found, where a little worse than I had anticipated...

As far as drivability goes, I believe all that it needs, is a carrier bearing. I do intend to go over the rest of the car though (i.e. bushings, mounts, fluids, brakes, and the like)

My question is, when looking at the pictures that I will post, is it in your guys opinions, that this car is worth totally restoring?

Or

Is it worth turning into some sort of vintage racer? Where I could get rid of the rust, and just replace with some makeshift panels? This will be my first restoration project, and I am sure that I won't get everything right, on the first try... and by Installing a rollcage, I would be doing very much to reinforce the chassis, and guarantee the car a long life, as long as no catastrophe happens.
I wouldn't be worried about wining any races, just enjoying man and machine.

Part of me feels, that if I am getting rid if the rust, and replacing panels, the car deserves the respect, to be replaced with the best materials that I can source

Or should I just sand blast the rust out of it, stop rust, and duraglass over where the rust was (with the exception of anything that may be structural) and drive it, until it falls apart (and love every moment of my vintage daily commute)

I am leaning towards a commitment on the level that would fall somewhere between option one, and option 3, as to the severity of the work to put into this car.

If either of the second 2 options, are what most think are ideal, then I can be on the hunt for a w108, to bring to beauty. Which is the car that I really want. Not that I don't want a /8 in my life.

free upload