View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R View Post
I just ordered the tuning kit today...two day delivery. And I should have the car home tomorrow.
I need to get this car out on the highway and open it up a bit. I accelerated hard a couple times and got a big puff of black smoke. Since I bought it from an older couple, and it's been her car for the last 5 years, I suspect it's been driven quite gently.
My initial reasoning for the GDE specific ECO tuning kit.....
Added performance and improved MPG are two benefits. But the kit also allows you to revert back to the original OEM map at any time down the road. Or if a dealer or independent shop ever restores the ECU coding, I can put the tuned code back on. I don't have to worry about GDE being in business years from now or shipping ECUs back and forth. With their kit I'll have the tools to take care of it myself. Their tool also allows me to read and clear fault codes. I know I could get cheaper tools for that. But it's nice that it's included with their kit. It has everything I wanted, and nothing I didn't. And I know I'm saying all this without receiving or installing anything yet. So time may change my attitude about it. But I've only read positives so far, so I think it'll work out well for me.
Definitely give us a run down on performance after install.

'95 E300, 216k miles, Silver Surfer
'05 E320 CDI, 138k miles
'07 S550 4matic, 69k miles

Gone but not forgotten:

'76 300D, 350k miles?, SOLD in 1995
'75 240D, 300k miles, SOLD in 1991