View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
And the ones I have seen use one type for the right and one for the left, or maybe there are just two type of assemblies. One has a plastic lens that will allow light to be projected into the trunk area when the headlights are on. I would think that you could find a right and a left assembly with this lens but they usually only came with one side or the other.
OK, this is coming from Pagoda knowledge, not W111 coupe knowledge but I think it's the same answers.

1. There are "early" and "late" tail lights. I think 1968 is the switch-over year.
2. Early taillights have a lens that is heat set into the chrome frame. And they have a bulb housing that has a clear panel in it that represents the useless trunk light (it's a parking light that also projects into the trunk. This would be on both left and right. The lens and chrome bezel are ONE assembly, and the bulb housing is another assembly.
3. Late taillights have a bezel that is separate from the lens. The lens for 111 coupes and pagodas is the same for these, but the chrome bezel is different.
4. Late taillights have a different bulb housing that has more black plastic and less pot metal and does NOT have the clear lens that shines into the trunk.

You can use the early or late on either car, however the back for an early does not match the lens for the late and vice-versa, so you have to get it right.

In the US market the early ones have red corners, the late ones have amber corners. I don't that that is the same for the rest of the world.

I'm not 100% sure that the lens back for a early 111 coupe is the same as the lens back for an early 113 coupe, but I _think_ they are.