View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 PM

Well, my experience is in the archives...
but wanted to mention that if someone is currently having shifting problems... the instructions on the can suggest putting a 20 percent mix of new trans fluid and Trans-x...
for the initial attempt to dissolve any varnish in those tiny holes which may be affecting the engagement of the hydraulically operated gear clutches...
Then if that works... changing out the trans fluid and filter and putting in a 10 percent mix for the future..
If the leaking is a seal which might be swollen by the Trans-x ... like my Lincoln front seal... it does require a while... I think it was weeks of making sure I added Trans-x regularly since that trans was leaking a quart per 75 miles... now it does not leak... and this is years later....
The idea is that if the car is not shifting... is to sit in the driveway and move the shifting lever through the gear positions... slowly.... like a minute per gear.. including park and reverse.... if this takes 30 or 45 minutes it is worth it if it fixes your shifting problems.. it is boring... so take music with you when you start.....
So before you start this... consult a book as to the total capacity of your transmission and do the math... for my 81 wagon it took two of the ' sorta' one quart metal cans to make 20 percent...... then one for the final fill to leave in.....
OK... for those of you who have never held an auto transmission valve body in your beady little hands.... it is the metal part of the transmission which directs the hydraulic fluid to the proper places at the proper time....
but the reason a ' little' varnish can make so much difference is that those control ports are about the diameter of a BB... and a sphere the size of a BB is used as a valve to close off that port when it should be..

BUT the CRITICAL factor is that it is GRAVITY operated in the cut off mode... so if you have just enough burned old varnish making that control port to where the BB does not react quickly or AT all...
then you have things like ' flaring' ... the slow application of the correct friction clutch .. which in short order Wears it out... or if total interference with that BB.. then one or more of your gears does not engage.... or more than one engages at the same time... any of those kind of things can cause Hard Part replacement needs inside the transmission...

Last edited by leathermang; 10-07-2015 at 06:25 PM.