View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Ignorance is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbenz1 View Post
Perhaps a bit off topic but I maintain 7 vechiles every time I service a mercedes transmission I find very little putty like material or clutch residue on the bottom of the pan. The American cars I service the residue is closer to 1/16 to 1/8 inch on the pan. I realize the mercedes transmissions for the 80's and 90's are long lasting but I was curious if anyone else has comparisons or comments on the subject.
When I would do pan off services on customer vehicles, the American transmissions always had lots of shavings on the bottom and stuck to the magnet. There was a Jeep Cherokee from the 90s that I serviced and once I looked at the CHUNKS in the pan I told the owner that he needed to seriously consider replacing the vehicle and the trans was on its way out. He was upset, but appreciated the warning. Another time on a Chevy 1500 from the 90s the customer reported hesitation shifting and flaring. I initially denied the service but after he pleaded with me to do it anyway with absolutely no guarantee or warranty, I took the job. He had an enormous amount of debris in the pan, and the magnet was a solid ball of shavings.

I believe that the MB transmissions were just designed much better than the American ones. Precision tolerances, quality material, and engineers who gave a crap are the differences between the two. Japanese transmissions seem to be acceptable, but the Honda BAXA transmissions were absolutely horrible and it isn't surprising that Honda secured the help of GM to design that transmission.

TransX is appealing to me because it's a cleaner rather than an oil thickener. I could get on board with the TranX, NOT the Lucas transmission molasses...
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/sideview.png