View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Dieselicious

shopping for a battery charger

Hi all,
I seem to find myself in the market for a battery charger about every other year nowadays, and am wondering if there are still battery chargers available that are built to the same standards as they were "in the good old days".
I've been looking at various chargers online for a few weeks now, checking reviews on Amazon, and nearly every single product out there has a multitude of negative reviews regarding its longevity and overall durability. Almost everything out of China these days is built to fail within 6 months or 6 uses, whichever comes first.

I would like to have a 2-5-15-50 amp charger with at least a 50 to 80 amp start function. Seems like everything made by Schuemacher these days has horrible longevity and low quality components, compared to how they used to be built when they were USA made. Many other companies use the same Chinese manufacturer(s) to private label their products, but inside is all the same crappy components like a PC board with shoddy soldered connections that crack or warp, and a fan that disintegrates with months, casing the charger to overheat and permanently disabling it.

Have any of you forum members bought a battery charger recently that you were actually impressed with? If so I would really like to hear your opinions and recommendations of what to buy and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance!
1978 300 CD
1962 220-S Fintail - awaiting restoration