View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 10:34 AM

In my line of business, there is a LOT of telemarketing. I would suggest not "hammering" telemarketers too much. You might end up on their dreaded "fun to poke with a stick list".

Here are some good responses to telemaketers to make them hang up right away:

For callers offering refinancing or home remodeling, simply say "Oh, this is a rental". Now the caller has a list, identifying you as a mortgage holder, but it never occurs to them that you would lie to them. They will 1) immediately hang up, 2) cross your name off their list, and 3) curse the people that they bought the list from. If you just say "not interested" or "not now", you will STAY on that list as a potential customer.

For callers offering financial services from let's say Merrill Lynch, simply say, "Oh, Merrill Lynch?, I have an account there". They will be very polite and hang up immediately. DO NOT SAY, "Oh, Merrill Lynch? I have an account at Paine Webber". You will STAY on their list.

Most businesses that use telemaketing have a "do not call list" and if they really bug you and you want to take the time to call them, you can put your name on this list.

glenmore
1991 300CE