View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyNMemphis View Post
Hello Rh,

I have been a member of Pelican Parts for many years. I had a 924S, then a 911, now a 2014 Boxster S. I LOVE Porsche!

Welcome to Mercedes! This is a great place to find out every thing you want to know. The Mercedes restoration hobby costs a fraction of what I spent on my Porsches for similar things.

I had a 1972 Mercedes 280 Coupe called Goldie Locks that had a warped Solex 4A1 carburetor. My friend Don was helping me by rebuilding the carb when he noticed it was warped. He used his oven at home (married guys don't try this) to heat the carb and apply pressure, check measurements and do again until that eventually straightened the metal. It can be done.

RH, Did you see the carburetor? I have experienced that sellers often make mistakes when identifying aspects of a car they are selling. The Solex 4A1 was also used on BMW. There should be plenty out there for spares.
Thanks, Jeffrey. I've had a 944, and I now have a 911SC, a 996, and a 914. Except for my first 911, the Porsches haven't been money pits, and I think if you start with a solid car and can do a lot of your own work, you can have something reliable for not-ridiculous amounts of money.

As for the carburetor, I have seen it, and it's marked Pierburg, which confused me at first because I thought I had heard of all the carburetor makes out there and that was a new one on me. But I guess Pierburg is just a Solex clone?