View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrockhound View Post
I'm lucky to live in Ohio where the state doesn't check your emissions (unless you live in Cleveland) so I'd definitely look into whatever I could do to release some of the power that emissions left on the table. I did drive the car and unfortunately it had a miss, so I didn't get to experience that turbine-like straight-6 smoothness. I'm trying to get the seller to spring for a tune-up, which I hope does the trick. That said, it does kill my buzz somewhat that the car was put on the market in dire need of a tune up.
There may be an old style tune-up shop in your area with an ignition analyzer that uses a scope. If so they can hook up to it and tell you quickly what is causing the miss and even which plug, wire or whatever is causing it.

One quick check is to pull the distributor cap and look at the contacts; the part of the cap where the rotor contacts the electrical leads. If the the leads have a blue powder on them then there is arcing and the cap needs replacement. You might want to check the price of a new cap. Pelican would be a great place to look for these ignition parts as them seem to carry everything you would need to price out the replacements.

If you take it for a quick run and it dies when you slow down this is almost always a burnt valve which is a bit more work than replacing a spark plug wire.

And on the subject of wires.... On these cars you but a full set but normally you buy the plug connector, the wire and the distributor cap connector and screw them all together. This was Mercedes way of saving you money because why replace the entire wire if only a connector is bad?