View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
The home center gray outdoor electrical boxes would be fine.

Before making mounts, I'd wedge and wire it up then look from the rear of the car to make sure the light can be seen by higher vehicles. Lights work two ways. One is where the lens glows and the other is where light is projected to the viewer.
A glowing lens can be seen off angle but a projected beam can't.

A perfect example of poor light design is the latest clear cover over headlights / front turn signals. While these lights pass brightness ( light projected ) they are poor in off angle situations where a glowing lens would be helpful. And these off angle situations become critical when a car is 90* to the viewer and making a left turn across the viewer.
All of the incandescent-type third-brake lights I've seen have ribbed lenses to allow visibility at off-angles. But now, you have me curious about the angle-visibility of the multi-led brake-light on my '98 Nissan Altima's trunk-spoiler.
I replaced the original headlights on my Altima with the clear cover style used on the '00-'01. I prefer the more expensive look of the later style, and my originals were so fogged, the car was undriveable at night! Fortunately, on these Altimas, there are side-markers, and the front parking/turn signals wrap around the side to compensate for any lack of side-visibility from the headlights.

Happy Motoring, Mark