Thread: New 240D Owner
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 03:44 PM

Once you have tried doing the valve adjustment several important design consideration become obvious with regard to the valve setting wrenches.

First is that the good ones allow you to use one hand pushing two different directions to tighten the lower nut to lock the cap nut. That may have to be done many times to wind up with the lash setting correct. For this it is important that the upper and lower wrenches slide over each other... preferably in contact with each other... so you seem to be holding to just one tool and they stay in place.

Second is that third ( hand ) wrench.... that has a little ' foot' on it which swings down to hold it in place... unless you have three or more hands yourself... that will be very helpful. Your other hand will be using the feeler gauge and the other tightening those two wrenches....

It is pretty much impossible to home make that third lower wrench.... it has to be thin and strong.... it is really helpful when the lock and cap nuts are STUCK....

Now is when all sorts of people will start posting that they have used adjustable wrenches for holding the valve still..... good for them..... but that back cylinder on a five cylinder is hard to get to....

So I recommend you get the legit tools if you can find and afford them....
Don't do what I did the first time... be in the middle of setting the valves....and find ONE nut I could not get loose... and have to put it all back together and drive to the MB house...the next day since I was working on Sunday....