View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 02:46 PM

I don't understand why you say "purchase another FPA", which is the fuel pressure regulator that's located under the air cleaner. The accumulator is under the floor pan next to the fuel pump(s) and filter.

Have you tested the accumulator as I described in the link in post #1? If it shows any leakage it's probably on the out and should be replaced. If no leakage is detected, it's okay.

I've also had the hot start/stall problem, but just learned to goose the throttle after it fires, which avoids the stall. I don't know yet if the new accumulator has mitigated this problem because I put the car in storage just after I changed it last spring and just brought it out of storage last weekend, but only did one hot start.

I only drive the car two or three times a month, so it will take some time to determine if hot starting performance is better.

Also, I want to emphasize that my analysis of the accumulator failure mechanism is that it fails slowly over time, not suddenly. Once leakage starts it will slowly increase with use/time eventually reaching a point where the hard starting is obvious and consistent.

Based on the design of the diaphragm there should be absolutely no internal leakage on a properly functioning accumulator. Any detected leakage indicates that the failure mechanism has started. It could take some time to get bad enough that starting is an iffy propositon, but it's a good idea to replace it before the problem becomes severe and possibly leaves you stranded.

My car has had the hot start/stall problem for some years, yet cold starts were usually normal. Then finally one day on a hot start after an hour or two of hot soak, it was reluctant to start, but finally started firing on two or three cylinders, and I kept goosing the throttle until it began to run smoothly after a few seconds. The same thing happened on the next several cold and hot starts, then it went away, but returned after about a dozen or so starts. That's when I got serious about finding and correcting the problem.

The FPR may be partially to blame as its bleed down rate probably increases with miles/time. The accumulator will replace the bled down fuel from the FPF and maintain pressure until its 20 cc is exhausted, then pressure will drop rapidly. Then when you attempt to start, there will be insufficient fuel pressure until the accumulator refills through that .010" restrictor.

After sitting for six months I expect this was the case as it barely started and ran on only two or three cylinders for several seconds until a smooth cold idle was established. On the hot restart that same day, it fired right up, no stall, and I didn't goose the throttle.

Duke

Last edited by Duke2.6; 11-11-2015 at 09:33 AM.