Thread: New 240D Owner
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forums. Your car looks really nice. I haven't seen that color in person before. Most of the light blue ones I see are China Blue. Very nice. Good luck with it.

Looking at the pictures, the car in question is, at minimum, 36 years old. based on that alone, you may be right, but I get the feeling sure Redpeople is well aware of that. Very few people are getting in to these cars anymore thinking they'll be cheap. Most folks I see buying them now have a pretty good idea as to what they're in for. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he understands that $1500 is his starting point. For a car that looks that nice, $1500 might not be a bad starting point.

As for the seats, it can be expensive to put them back to the way they were when they left the factory. But, it's not hard to fix them much more cheaply if you make a few compromises.

I rebuilt the seats in my 240D a couple of years ago. My car's a 1983, but my seats came out of my 1979 parts car. The upholstery was nice on mine (aside from two large tears on the driver's seat that I patched up, and a few broken springs in the driver's seat) but the padding was done. It was all there, but my parts car sat for years and the padding all turned to crumbly stone. I stripped all the seats down, repaired the driver's seat springs (sectioned in spring pieces from an upholstery supply shop and added some extra support springs), added a layer of canvas to the spring boxes, and then cut new seat pads out of an old 4" memory foam mattress topper.

I've only had the car on the road for a few weeks at this point. The seats are supportive and comfortable thus far. I expect a lot of miles out of this fix. The memory foam and additional springs did change the character of the seats a little, but considering I probably spent well under $100 to re-pad them, I'm quite happy with the results.
I can confirm magicbus's seats are superior to the original issue benz seat. In fact ive been planning to steal his memory foam seat pad idea for my work van.